EOLC Forum » Continue in 2015?  

Autor
Beitrag [  1  2    »  ]
David Breedveld

Herkunft: Holland
325 Beiträge
Continue in 2015? 

Hi all

Admin Olaf Lehmann will step down this year. He has put a lot of energy in the EOLC and took upon himself a lot of complicated tasks. Olaf will step down after the Double Dash race on 7 December. Thanks for your work, Olaf You authored the protests system, the telemetry tool, the pitstop patch, and other programs that made EOLC an interesting place.

Will EOLC continue next year?

There are obstacles.

- we need a new capable (web) admin to replace Olaf.
- the raceserver broke down.
- the serverpark for the raceserver is expensive. Who wants to host races from his home using this raceserver (if fixed)?
- the number of participants is declining.

I'm interested in a new season (as server starter for a Cup), but I admit that the efforts and costs of a new season are high (per participating driver). Please share your thoughts, also when you don't want to invest time in EOLC next year. We had a lot of fun here and GPL will live on elsewhere.

For the people contributing money it's important that we (admins and drivers) don't hesitate too much to make clear what our ideas about 2015 are. The request of the owner is that the decision about the serverpark can be made this month, in November 2014.

Questions

- Is there someone who wants to replace Olaf for 2015?
- Or for the last weeks of this year?
This involves keeping the forum running, which is not easy because of hacker attacks. Working on tools as a programmer is not involved.
- Shall we continue? What do you say?

Best regards,
David

23.11.2014, 10:57  
Pedro_Berg.vd

1310 Beiträge

Zitat:
Original von David Breedveld
What do you say?

Sorry David, I am not smart enough to replace Olaf

The decline of drivers can be seen on almost every leagues, mod or original!

EOLC is a '67 leagues other than Uk or GPLRacers which are mod leagues.

If EOLC could merge with another leagues that would be great for '67 original drivers!

If all mod leagues would merge also we can have the best of both worlds.

I am stil not ready with GPL!
So yes I would like EOLC to continue in one way or another, but probably won't drive in it.

I fancy the mods ('65) more than the original nowadays. '67 for me is only attractive with special tracks, and I stand abit alone in that I think.

Question stil is, who can merge some leages together

My 2cents,

23.11.2014, 15:15  
Bastian Grupp

Herkunft:
450 Beiträge

i agree with pedro. we got so small it would probably be better to merge. even if our hearts brake

23.11.2014, 16:53  
Harald_Podzielny

Herkunft: Essen/NRW
1400 Beiträge

Hi,
das sieht ja nicht gut aus

Erstmal ein Dank an Olaf für die ganze Arbeit,besonders für 2014

Leider kenne ich mich mit dem ganzen nicht aus.Freue mich schon wenn ich allein eine neue Strecke installiert bekomme.Bei Problemen stehe ich schon meist hilflos da

Leider sind wir jetzt einfach zu wenig Leute,für die Adminarbeit und auch bei den Rennen Wenn es irgendwie weitergehen könnte wäre es natürlich super.Was die Kosten angeht...war ja letztens noch ein Thema.

Lohnt es sich überhaupt noch hier was zu machen?Sich mit einer anderen Liga zusammen schließen?Oder einfach bei einer anderen Liga mitfahren?

Das es mal so weit kommt....schade

Gruß
Harry

23.11.2014, 17:49  
Carsten Grelck

Herkunft: Schleswig Holstein
192 Beiträge

Hi,

If nothing will change, I will probably stop next year. The main reason is the limited amount of participants per race and the wide spread of "skill level".

I might join another GPL league or will change to another SIM. Up to now I did not do any research on both alternatives.

BR
Carsten

23.11.2014, 19:08  
Rainer Alpen

Herkunft: Schleswig-Holstein
147 Beiträge

Moin

Von mir auch erst mal ein fettes DANKE an Olaf für seine ganze Arbeit, vor allem die Tools die er geschaffen hat. Respekt!.
Der Dank geht natürlich an alle die das hier ermöglichen.

Was die Zukunft angeht, schwierig. Von Web- und Admin Arbeit hab ich auch keine Ahnung.
Hinzu kommen ja noch die Kosten. Und natürlich immer weniger Fahrer.

Zitat:
Lohnt es sich überhaupt noch hier was zu machen?Sich mit einer anderen Liga zusammen schließen?Oder einfach bei einer anderen Liga mitfahren?
Das es mal so weit kommt....schade

Harry stellt die richtige Fragen. Ich weiß auch nicht.

Gruß Rainer

24.11.2014, 10:07  
Fabian Casula

Herkunft: Switzerland
808 Beiträge

First, thanks to Olaf for all the work!!

Unfortunately I have no cure-all solution. I just know I will continue GPL in 2015 one way or another.

Probabbly we should do local hosting to cut the expenses.
(Local hosting is easy and quite reliable nowadays).
Better still, we "hire" some server time in another league and share cost (both sides win).
For instance with the folks from GeLi ([URL]http://gpl-geli.de/[/URL])

I hope we can give it a go for another year.
Unfortunately I can't do programming etc.
no clue.

cheers & heads up

29.11.2014, 11:37  
Pedro_Berg.vd

1310 Beiträge

Zitat:
Original von Fabian Casula
First, thanks to Olaf for all the work!!

Good to read some lines from you again Fabian (has been awile, got worried)

And indeed A GREAT THANKS for OLAF

29.11.2014, 12:19  
Fabian Casula

808 Beiträge

let us assume, it continues in 2015:

have you ever considered to use the weather patch?

[URL]http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=9961&hl=%2Bweather+%2Bpatch[/URL]

[img]http://srmz.net/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-2168-0-35417200-1399210661_thumb.jpg[/img]

Probabbly not a good idea to use it too often but there are tracks which really suit well, for instance Nurburgring (Lange Ringnacht!! ), Spa, etc.

Simply de-/activated via GEM+

16.12.2014, 19:28  
Jens Kraft

Herkunft:
4457 Beiträge

Hello, a big thank to the work of the EOLC.

i think we/you could get down the servers costs by saving all the forum on tape and find a slow server.
in 2 or 4 years we should be able to pay a webserver with VERY HIGH data storage and very low bandwidth, like 1MB/s for very little money.

hosting can be done locally! very easy nowadays. 1Mbit upload is 110KB/s and sufficient!

apart from that: if the Gurus wont port GPL to rFactor GPL will be gone. in rF everyting is possible.
There are also GPL65mods on rFactor, i drove one 2years ago and it was better than after 1 year of GPL: perfect grip simulation, temp simulation, everything was perfect.

there is no reason to go to a modern sim, especially because of the price.

but going on with rFactor 65mod here would have put some spice into the community. itss so good and so suitable we wouldve had so much fun...

i raced 2 years ago
it was 1965 kyalami and it was great ...

a mixture of gpl67 and other mods could scpice it up.

18.12.2014, 22:54  
Chris Gietzelt

Herkunft:
266 Beiträge

Ich bin auch noch nicht fertig mit GPL!

22.12.2014, 20:14  
Claudio Callipo

Herkunft: Germany/Saarbrücken
658 Beiträge

Auch von mir ein großes DANKE an Olaf und alle die in diesem Jahr viel Arbeit in GPL gesteckt haben !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sollte es im nächsten Jahr weitergehen (was ich sehr hoffe) bin ich in jeden Fall dabei!!!

Ansonnsten wünsche ich allen ein Frohes Weihnachtsfest.

Wir sehen uns am Ring

23.12.2014, 16:37  
Phil Hagenbauer

Herkunft: Bayern/Rosenheim
270 Beiträge

Auch von mir frohe Weihnachten und geruhsame Festtage! Habe auch wieder GPL rausgekramt und werde 2015 wieder dabei sein, wo es mir zeitlich möglich ist
Cheers

26.12.2014, 10:31  
Fabian Casula

808 Beiträge

26.12.2014, 10:50  
Claudio Callipo

Herkunft: Germany/Saarbrücken
658 Beiträge

Hi Phil, tolle Nachrichten!

Auch von mir ein

26.12.2014, 12:18  
Olaf Lehmann

Herkunft: Lichtenstein
2167 Beiträge

Danke für die Blumen!

Was soll ich sagen: Schade um meinen Patch…aber mit sechs, acht oder neun Leuten rumzufahren macht für mich keinen Sinn.
Danke denen, die mitgemacht haben – innerhalb der EOLC waren es gar nicht mal wenige. Ihr habt vielleicht sogar meine Erwartungen übertroffen, da ich wusste wie konservativ der typische GPLer ist.
Leider ist es mir nicht gelungen irgendwelche Leute von außerhalb der EOLC anzulocken. Die einzigsten die ich herlocken konnte waren Hacker, die die Website verseuchten.
Danke bei der Gelegenheit an Claudio und Fabian für die Anwerbeversuche in anderen Foren.

Mit einem vollen oder nahezu vollen Grid wäre das modifizierte GPL meines Erachtens der Hammer, besonders bei ein bisschen längeren Rennen (Challengerennlänge). Schade drum.

Aber was solls… Viel Spass bei der Ringnacht!!!

Olaf

27.12.2014, 13:36  
Harald_Podzielny

1400 Beiträge

Hi,
wünsche allen ein frohes neues Jahr

Habe gerade gesehen das wir am 18. Spa67 fahren Ist das jetzt ein Abschiedsrennen oder der Auftakt zur neuen Saison?

Danke für die Aktualisierung der letzten Saison Die Seite mit den Cupsiegern könnte man vielleicht etwas aufräumen,Double Dash hinzufügen ...für den Supercup ist wohl nichts vorgesehen ...aber das ist alles nicht so wichtig.

Gruß
Harry

05.01.2015, 21:43  
Harald_Podzielny

1400 Beiträge

Danke an David? denke ich mal.Carsten vom Vorjahr gehört natürlich auch dort hin ...Double Dash 2013

Gruß
Harry

06.01.2015, 19:11  
David Breedveld

325 Beiträge

Zitat:
Original von Harald_Podzielny
Ist das jetzt ein Abschiedsrennen oder der Auftakt zur neuen Saison?

It's the first race of the new season The website is still running, so let's race

I'll add Double Dash 2013 to the Cupwinners page later. I forgot to do it.

Complicated stuff: I can't put the Super Cup in the archive right now, because this cup is special in two ways. For example, the Super Cup 2014 had 18 races, while the archive's database has 11 races in a row as a maximum. But in the menu to the left, we can still reach the standings of Super Cup 2014.

Best regards,
David

Edit: the Super Cup is in the archive now. Olaf wrote some code in 2011 to make it easier. Thanks

06.01.2015, 21:40  
Harald_Podzielny

1400 Beiträge

Danke David und natürlich auch an Olaf

07.01.2015, 19:59  

Read-only archive of the EOLC forum powered by: Burning Board 1.1.1b © 2002 WoltLab GbR