EOLC Forum » Teething Problems....  

Autor
Beitrag
Glenn English

Herkunft: N. Ireland
227 Beiträge
Teething Problems.... 

Ok Gents,

I've just built my new machine for GPL - Athlon5600 and X1950Pro. It is absolutely WONDERFUL to start at the back of a full grid and have constant 36fps with beautiful smooth detail

I have a couple of little problems though -
The onboard sound module (Realtek HD) sounds absolutely horrendous most of the time (I can't describe the sound) although sometimes when I get into the car it's OK until I have a collision and then the sound goes bad. Is anyone else using realtek onboard sound ? Can anyone get it to work well ?

Secondly, a Pribluda problem - the part of the leaderboard boxes which drop down over the main driving view, flicker terribly at all times. Has anyone else seen this problem ?

Thanks in anticipation.

04.01.2009, 20:32  
RicoKlein

Herkunft: Deutschland M/V
1877 Beiträge

u have to by a soundcard. no other way...

04.01.2009, 20:57  
Glenn English

227 Beiträge

I suspected that....... but hey that won't be a huge problem. Do you reckon that might be the problem with Pribluda as well ?

04.01.2009, 21:52  
RicoKlein

Herkunft: Deutschland M/V
1877 Beiträge

no, i dont think so. maybe u can use less names or not so big letters, to avoid the main part of the screen?

05.01.2009, 00:16  
Michael Dobeck

Herkunft: München
182 Beiträge

Hi Glenn,

i had exactly the same problem (with the sound) - also with OnBoard Realtek Sound.

A quick fix for the sound problem should be, to play with the hardware acceleration. You've got 4 levels there from none to max, try to take something in between, that should fix the problem with the absolutely horrible sound after crashes.
The sound will still be a bit crappy after that, at least I still had bad cracks. Afaik, GPL has serious problems with lot's of sound cards.

Maybe the best solution for this problem is the [URL=http://ie.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=15853&listby=]Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer[/URL]. Not the cheapest soundcard (should be about 50-60€), but I can really recommend this one. Give it a try.

Michael

05.01.2009, 01:39  
Andrew Zich

Herkunft: Berlin, Germany, Europe
376 Beiträge
  Onboard Sound 

Zitat:
Original von Glenn English
...Is anyone else using realtek onboard sound ? Can anyone get it to work well ?...
Hi Glenn,
yes I have Realtek AC-97 Onboard Sound and it works fine. I had NOT to buy a new soundcard.
I am using my onbard sound and if I do not turn down the hardware acceleration, then the engine sounds much too high, like an fastturning Jetturbine.
BUT, if I turn HW-Acceleration down to minimal it is all fine. I Do not know if the sound gets better if your hear it on a 5.1 Surround HiFi Dolby Super Premium Sound Card and on 500€ prized speakers,
but the way it works on my system is very good for racing.

So try to turn down Hardware-Acceleration of the Onboard AC97 SoundChip via running DXDIAG.EXE then all should be OK.

05.01.2009, 12:39  
Glenn English

227 Beiträge

Thanks Rico, Michael and Andrew,

I think I've managed to work around it using GPL sound overlay (have any of you tried it ?)
but it tends to have a few problems of it'd own, principally being you're so busy enjoying the ever changing sound, that you end up being slower than you were before.......

I'll try the DXDIAG when I get home, but in the long run, a soundcard will probably be required.

See you on track......

05.01.2009, 14:30  
Fabio Locarno

Herkunft: Monza, Italy
131 Beiträge

Zitat:
Original von Michael Dobeck

Maybe the best solution for this problem is the [URL=http://ie.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=15853&listby=]Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer[/URL].

Glenn,
end of October I bought this soundcard for 34 € and it's fantastic with GPL.

then:
only 4 sounds in GPL options and HW acceleration down to minimum as Andrew suggested you but, very often, I had problem with disappearing sound or odd sound after a crash as you reported.

now:
full sounds in GPL options and full HW acceleration.
Absolutely no more sound-related problems.
And it's really fantastic to listen to the full grid before the green flag...

If you will find such a soundcard get it immediately: I guess it's the cherry on your GPL-cake

About Pribluda: I don't use it at all, so I don't have any idea how to solve your problem, sorry.

See you soon on track.

05.01.2009, 23:24  

Read-only archive of the EOLC forum powered by: Burning Board 1.1.1b © 2002 WoltLab GbR